antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

no Junk folder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gergelyv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: no Junk folder Reply with quote

Hello,

I started using Sniper for The Bat trial today. I'm generally statisfied, with one significant complaint: Sniper doesn't seem to be able to create a Junk folder in my IMAP account.

I tried manually creating a folder called Junk: that somehow didn't work at all, it is probably caused by the server. I then reconfigured Sniper to use a folder called Spam instead. That didn't work either, even after manually creating the Spam folder.

This probably means I'm currently at a risk of completely losing any false positive mails. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bests,
Gergely
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMAP servers can use different dividers between the parts of folder name (e.g. the subfolder of INBOX can look like INBOX/Junk, INBOX.Junk). If you created a folder for spam inside the other folder, try to enter its full name in plug-in settings with a divider used by your IMAP server. If the plug-in doesn't display errors during checking IMAP account, then the folder name is ok.
gergelyv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I specified INBOX/Spam, and it seems to work *right now*. But I'm not entirely satisfied with this solution, because moving messages seems to be unreliable with this IMAP account: my filter actions (move to folder X) specified in Sorting Office sometimes work, sometimes don't. (I tested this thoroughly: the filter rule certainly fires, even its counter is incremented, but the moving itself doesn't always happen.) I suspect the same problem might affect Sniper. Manual moves on the other hand work well.

I now deleted all my custom IMAP folders I used to use for sorting, and created virtual folders with filters instead. Those seem to work. (I have very mixed feelings about The Bat overall: it seems to be pretty versatile but often unreliable, or having problems with certain servers that every other major client handles well...)

What this all boils down to is a feature request: it would be super nice if instead of moving messages, Sniper would alter the subject, like " *** SPAM *** original subject". This would allow me to use a virtual filtered spam folder. What do you think?

As for the separator character for subfolders, it seems to be a mixed bag: folders I created in The Bat use / (like INBOX/Spam), while Sent is INBOX.Sent. Another suspicious detail is that in my webmail (SquirrelMail) I can't create IMAP subfolders. So it might be that the server has serious problems, and that is the cause of all my troubles.

Thanks for reading this long post. Smile

BR,
Gergely
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug-in doesn't use TheBat features for dealing with IMAP accounts. It moves spam to junk folder by sending the corresponding commands to mail server directly. If the mail server cannot move a message to junk folder (returns error status code), the plug-in doesn't delete this message from the inbox folder. So you will not lose a message, even in case of some troubles on the server.

Changing the message subjects is not a good practice in general. Why to add the odd strings to messages and use some custom rules (which "seem" to work in TheBat, but sometimes don't in your case) if the plug-in is able to move the messages by itself? There is no need to worry and look for some alternative solutions for sorting the classified messages. Because in general case the used method is more reliable than the other solutions based on rules, subjects etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: