antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Filtering of IMAP account does not work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
va

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Filtering of IMAP account does not work Reply with quote

Hi!

I am using the Bat! 4.1.11 with ASS 3.2.0.1.

I have 4 POP3 accounts and 1 IMAP account. All accounts use secure connections via dedicated ports (TLS).

If I enable filtering of the IMAP account (Accounts: [x] Block spam by message headers automatically ...) with enabled option "Filter SSL protected connections", ...

- I cannot connect to my POP3 accouts: FETCH - TLS handshake failure. Invalid server certificate. The certificate or certificate chain is based on an untrusted root.

- connections of the IMAP account will *not* be filtered.

All settings seem to be okay, e.g. in the account list there appears the "thumb up" sign in front of the IMAP account.

If I disable the option "Filter SSL protected connections", I can access my POP3 accounts again.

TIA

Cheers!
VA
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug-in substitutes server SSL certificate during filtering SSL connections. The new certificate is self-signed, and TheBat shows a warning about it. But this is normal, and the process continues as usual after pressing OK or "Add to trusted" in the correspondent dialog. After pressing "Add to trusted" TheBat saves the information about new certificate in own storage and doesn't show warnings related to it in future.

The substitution of certificates and warnings don't affect the data protection, i.e. the transmitted data between TheBat and mail server remains protected as usual. But the plug-in cannot filter the protected IMAP connections unless SSL filtering is turned on. To turn on the filtering for IMAP enable the checkbox "Filter SSL protected connections" and press "Add to trusted" in TheBat dialog that appears during checking the protected accounts. If TheBat doesn't show warnings, but breaks the protected connection immediately, open TheBat Address Book and remove the account certificate:
- Press View | Certificate Address Books menu item
- Select Trusted Root CA node
- Find the certificate with account domain name in list and remove it
va

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The help reads: "The plug-in can delete spam on the server using a list of POP3 and IMAP accounts."

Ummm, ... only the IMAP account is listed in that dialog and shall be filtered on the server. I *didn't* inserted my POP3 accounts there and I do not want that.

If only the IMAP account is inserted, these settings shall not affect my POP3 accounts.

And again: The IMAP account filtering does *not* work, though all settings seem to be okay. No IMAP message is filtered. I tested that.

Cheers!
VA
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

va wrote:
The help reads: "The plug-in can delete spam on the server using a list of POP3 and IMAP accounts."

Ummm, ... only the IMAP account is listed in that dialog and shall be filtered on the server. I *didn't* inserted my POP3 accounts there and I do not want that.

If only the IMAP account is inserted, these settings shall not affect my POP3 accounts.

And again: The IMAP account filtering does *not* work, though all settings seem to be okay. No IMAP message is filtered. I tested that.

Please do the following:
- Turn on blocking spam by message headers on Accounts tab.
- Enable the checkbox "Filter SSL protected connections" on Accounts tab.
- Check that the domain, login name and port are specified properly for IMAP account. If you are not sure, enable the option "Add new accounts automatically" and try to download new mail.
- To disable filtering spam by headers for POP3 accounts leave only IMAP account on Account tab and turn off the option "Add new accounts automatically". If POP3 and IMAP accounts are on the same server, set the port on POP3 tab of IMAP account to zero.
- Press "Add to trusted" or OK in TheBat warning dialog during downloading new mail.
va

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does *not* work. :-/

vetaltm wrote:

Please do the following:
- Turn on blocking spam by message headers on Accounts tab.
- Enable the checkbox "Filter SSL protected connections" on Accounts tab.
- Check that the domain, login name and port are specified properly for IMAP account. If you are not sure, enable the option "Add new accounts automatically" and try to download new mail.

All done. - Adding new accounts automatically does not work: FETCH - TLS handshake failure. Invalid server certificate. The certificate or certificate chain is based on an untrusted root. => No dialog pops up (see below).

Quote:

- To disable filtering spam by headers for POP3 accounts leave only IMAP account on Account tab and turn off the option "Add new accounts automatically". If POP3 and IMAP accounts are on the same server, set the port on POP3 tab of IMAP account to zero.

Done, although IMAP and POP3 accounts on completely different servers.

While "Filter SSL protected connections" is enabled I cannot connect to the POP3 accounts (Port is set to "0" on POP3 tab of IMAP account). If it is disabled connection is established.

Quote:

- Press "Add to trusted" or OK in TheBat warning dialog during downloading new mail.

I do not get such a dialog, I only see it in the account.log.

*sigh!*
VA
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

va wrote:

Quote:

- Is there a record "This certificate is self-issued." before the error message in account.log?
- Is there any other software filtering mail connections, e.g. antivirus or firewall?
va

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
va wrote:

Quote:

- Is there a record "This certificate is self-issued." before the error message in account.log?
- Is there any other software filtering mail connections, e.g. antivirus or firewall?

No to both.

Filtering disabled:

Code:
20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - receiving mail messages
 20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - Initiating TLS handshake
>20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - Certificate S/N: 0A70D5, algorithm: RSA (1024 bits), issued from 09.01.2009 09:37:43 to 09.02.2012 09:37:43, for 1 host(s): sslmailpool_ispgateway_de.
>20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - Owner: DE, sslmailpool_ispgateway_de, GT71805520, See www_geotrust_com/resources/cps (c)09, Domain Control Validated - QuickSSL Premium(R), sslmailpool_ispgateway_de.
>20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - Issuer: US, Equifax, Equifax Secure Certificate Authority.
 20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - TLS handshake complete
 20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - connected to POP3 server
 20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - authenticated (plain)
 20.03.2009, 17:00:18: FETCH - 0 messages in the mailbox, 0 new
 20.03.2009, 17:00:19: FETCH - connection finished - 0 messages received

Filtering enabled:

Code:
 20.03.2009, 16:59:15: FETCH - receiving mail messages
 20.03.2009, 16:59:15: FETCH - Initiating TLS handshake
>20.03.2009, 16:59:32: FETCH - Certificate S/N: 00B4EFD8, algorithm: RSA (512 bits), issued from 08.12.2008 12:22:58 to 03.12.2028 12:22:58, for 1 host(s): sslmailpool_ispgateway_de.
>20.03.2009, 16:59:32: FETCH - Owner: EN, sslmailpool_ispgateway_de.
>20.03.2009, 16:59:32: FETCH - Issuer: EN, sslmailpool_ispgateway_de.
!20.03.2009, 16:59:32: FETCH - TLS handshake failure. Invalid server certificate. The certificate or certificate chain is based on an untrusted root.

Cheers,
VA
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably the problem occurs because in your case TheBat uses CryptoAPI certificate store instead of internal implementation. To resolve the issue please do the following:
- Open the window Options | S/MIME and TLS.
- Select the item "Internal Implementation (The Bat! Address Book)".
va

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
Most probably the problem occurs because in your case TheBat uses CryptoAPI certificate store instead of internal implementation. To resolve the issue please do the following:
- Open the window Options | S/MIME and TLS.
- Select the item "Internal Implementation (The Bat! Address Book)".

Yep, okay *that* does work, now. => No certificate problems.

But it seems, that the IMAP account still is not filtered. I sent some test mails to that account, but they are not in the logfile of ASS (Statistics => View log...)

Cheers,
VA
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

va wrote:
But it seems, that the IMAP account still is not filtered. I sent some test mails to that account, but they are not in the logfile of ASS (Statistics => View log...)

The plug-in writes to filtering log the information about all classified messages. For IMAP it classifies only unread and unseen messages. Make sure that IMAP account is not checked via POP3 before IMAP, because some servers mark as seen the mail downloaded via different protocol. Also check the filtering mode on POP3 and IMAP tabs of account settings in plug-in. The filtering mode must not be "Do not filter the messages received from this server", because this option affects the whole domain, including POP3 and IMAP accounts.
va

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
va wrote:

The plug-in writes to filtering log the information about all classified messages. For IMAP it classifies only unread and unseen messages. Make sure that IMAP account is not checked via POP3 before IMAP, because some servers mark as seen the mail downloaded via different protocol. Also check the filtering mode on POP3 and IMAP tabs of account settings in plug-in. The filtering mode must not be "Do not filter the messages received from this server", because this option affects the whole domain, including POP3 and IMAP accounts.

Okay, now it seems to work! - Thank you very much and have a nice weekend! Smile

Cheers,
VA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: