antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Why is Outlook so sloooowwww

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for Outlook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryJH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Why is Outlook so sloooowwww Reply with quote

Hi
I have been a long time user of AntispamSniper for TheBat! and I am very pleased with it, so I was very happy to purchase AntispamSniper for Outlook to install on my laptop which has Outlook 2007 installed.

Now I'm not a great fan of Outlook, I have it installed so that when my customers speak with me I have some understanding of what they are using.

But, I have to say that when I am using AntispamSniper it seems to make Outlook slow to a crawl whilst connecting to my IMAP mail servers.

Can you offer any suggestions for the optimum settings for using Outlook with IMAP for the minimum impact on performance?

When I turn off the Antispam addin Outlook performance goes back to 'normal'.

Thanks
Barry
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a short description of how the plug-in filters IMAP accounts:
- Each time when you select an IMAP folder, the plug-in downloads the headers of new messages.
- The plug-in classifies the headers using the selected filtering methods: DNSBL, black and white list of addresses, black words in subject, black and white rules. Checking IP addresses via DNSBL may take some time, so it is possible to speedup this stage by turning off checking DNSBL.
- The plug-in downloads the full contents of the messages, which were not recognized as 100% spam or ham, and classifies them using the statistical algorithm. By default Outlook doesn't download the bodies of IMAP messages. But the plug-in needs the full message body to evaluate the spam ratio, and the downloading takes a noticeable time on slow connections.
- The messages recognized as spam with high ratio are moved to Junk folder.

To speed up the filtering you can try to turn off checking DNSBL. If you have a slow internet connection, it makes sense to use POP3 instead of IMAP to avoid wasting time and traffic during filtering messages.
BarryJH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I never use DSNBL because I find it causes too much of a performance hit.

However, it seems that Outlook 2007 doesn't seem to coexist well with AntiSpamSniper. At the moment I seem to suffer from a number of 'crashes' but if I turn off the ASS 'add-in' then Outlook settles down.

I'll keep trying the updates until I get a stable system.

Thanks
Barry
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryJH wrote:
However, it seems that Outlook 2007 doesn't seem to coexist well with AntiSpamSniper. At the moment I seem to suffer from a number of 'crashes' but if I turn off the ASS 'add-in' then Outlook settles down.

There are no known compatibility problems with Outlook 2007. Could you please provide the steps to reproduce a crash?
BarryJH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that there is no reproducible steps that cause the crash. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that if I disable the plugin then Outlook is stable.

I'll re-enable the plugin and keep a record of any crashes and the actions leading up to them.

Thanks
Barry
BarryJH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within 30 secs of re-enabling the ASS plugin Outlook crashed.

I hope that this screenshot may help get to the cause of the problem.

Best regards
Barry
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryJH wrote:
Within 30 secs of re-enabling the ASS plugin Outlook crashed.

Unfortunately the screenshot you provided doesn't contain enough
information to resolve the problem. I've sent you a message with additional info via email.
superman7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug-in downloads the full contents of the messages, which were not recognized as 100% spam or ham, and classifies them using the statistical algorithm. By default Outlook doesn't download the bodies of IMAP messages. But the plug-in needs the full message body to evaluate the spam ratio, and the downloading takes a noticeable time on slow connections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for Outlook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: