antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Spam with own mail adress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Spam with own mail adress Reply with quote

Hello, I've problems filtering spam using my own (To:) mail adress as sender id (From:). I've added my own adress to senders black list with * wild card as name, but this does not work.

Received messages with this sender id are repeatedly "Classified and learned as ham", reason: "Friendly address ..." and my black sender list entry disappears.

How can I filter this kind of spam? I'm using evaluation v 2.0.0.4 with The Bat 3.98.4

Thanks in advance for your answers.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the From address in spam messages contain your name? If not, then you can enable the checkbox "Ignore emails without display names" on Filtering page. The plug-in is checking the display names along with email addresses when this option is enabled.
sfw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The From addresses contain different names so - I suppose - "Ignore emails without display names" won't help?

In the meantime I tried a "Black rules" filter "From MyEmail". If I use a "Header{From}" filter with my address all of these mails are treated as ham (Friendly address...).

If I use the same filter as "Header{To}" - which is of course not very usefull - all mails with my To address are treated as spam.

Why does the blacklist not work? And why does the black rule only work with "Header{To}" (killing all email sent to my account) but not with "Header{From}"?

This is a little bit annoying since almost all my false negatives are mails with my own address as sender id... Sad
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfw wrote:
The From addresses contain different names so - I suppose - "Ignore emails without display names" won't help?

When this option is turned off, the plug-in doesn't check the display names and treats the addresses with the same email address as equal. A whitelist is checked before all other methods, and when you receive spam with your email address in From field, it is classified as non-spam because of the whitelist record with your email address (and different display name). After marking this message as spam, the plug-in deletes your address from whitelist and adds it to blacklist. Everything works Ok until receiving the first non-spam message from one of the whitelisted addresses. The plug-in learns such messages as non-spam by default, and updates a whitelist with all addresses, extracted from that good email. So the plug-in adds your address to whitelist again and the cycle continues.

When "Ignore emails without display names" is turned on, the plug-in takes into account the display names during checking the sender's address in From field. The spam messages contain your email address with different display names, but not your's. Your address will remain in whitelist, but only the messages with your real display name in From field will be classified as non-spam.

The black rules don't work in described case because of the fixed order of filtering methods:
- whitelist
- exceptions
- all other methods

If a message is classified as spam or non-spam on one of the stages, the plug-in skips the rest of methods.

Last edited by vetaltm on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
sfw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand and - even better - it works. Very Happy The mail with own From: address are now catched in my "From Black rule" filter.

Thanks for your help and your detailed explanation. Just ordered my full version...

Regards,
Sebastian
ehm

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to understand and do in the same way, but it's not working.
I'm receiving many e-mails, every day, that are going to my "Inbox - Know" folder on theBat! just because the e-mail came from me (not. It was spam), and could not find how to block it.
This is the example:
My real e-mail is 'ehm@ehm.com'
my name is John Smith
I'm receiving e-mails from "Arnold Smith"<ehm@ehm.com> with spam and it passes.

If I block that 'Arnold Smith'<ehm@ehm.com> then I stop receiving e-mails from my own account.

How can I deal with that?
Thank you
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehm wrote:
I try to understand and do in the same way, but it's not working.
I'm receiving many e-mails, every day, that are going to my "Inbox - Know" folder on theBat! just because the e-mail came from me (not. It was spam), and could not find how to block it.
This is the example:
My real e-mail is 'ehm@ehm.com'
my name is John Smith
I'm receiving e-mails from "Arnold Smith"<ehm@ehm.com> with spam and it passes.

If I block that 'Arnold Smith'<ehm@ehm.com> then I stop receiving e-mails from my own account.

How can I deal with that?
Thank you

Just enable the option "Ignore emails without display names" on Filtering page. In this case the plug-in is checking the display names during filtering messages, and won't block the emails from 'John Smith'<ehm@ehm.com> if the black list contains 'Arnold Smith'<ehm@ehm.com>.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: