antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Incoming Address whitelist

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
apjcs



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

I have a catch all mailbox and would like to have any messages not in my whitelist of valid email addresses for my domain to be deleted on the server.

Can this be done? If so what is the best way?

Thanks

PJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vetaltm
Author


Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

apjcs wrote:
I have a catch all mailbox and would like to have any messages not in my whitelist of valid email addresses for my domain to be deleted on the server.

Can this be done? If so what is the best way?

Thanks

PJ

First, make sure have the latest version of the plug-in (1.6.4). In that case the simplest way to delete all messages from non-whitelisted senders is to add the black rule with two strong conditions:
STRONG Header{To} =~ mailbox@yourdomain.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ mailbox@yourdomain.com

The plug-in will pass-through the whitelisted messages (according to white rules or a list of friendly sender addresses). But all other messages, directed to the specified mailbox, will be deleted with this rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
apjcs



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

I think I did not explain myself clearly.

I want to whitelist recipent addresses, ie

messages addressed to

info@mydomain.com
admin@mydomain.com

Should be accepted, whilst any mail addressed to any other addresses should be deleted from the server. So...

abc@mydomain.com
xvgt@mydomain.com
weloew@mydomain.com

should be deleted

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vetaltm
Author


Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

apjcs wrote:
I think I did not explain myself clearly.

I want to whitelist recipent addresses, ie

messages addressed to

info@mydomain.com
admin@mydomain.com

Should be accepted, whilst any mail addressed to any other addresses should be deleted from the server. So...

abc@mydomain.com
xvgt@mydomain.com
weloew@mydomain.com

should be deleted

Thanks

OK, it is also easy.

Create a white rule:
STRONG Header{To} =~ info@mydomain.com|admin@mydomain.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ info@mydomain.com|admin@mydomain.com

Then create a black rule:
STRONG Header{To} =~ .*@mydomain.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ .*@mydomain.com

The plug-in checks white rules first, so the messages directed to mailboxes from white rule will not be filtered. The rest of messages with invalid recipients (with the same domain) will be deleted by black rule.

There is one exception - the messages with your address in BCC. The contents of BCC field are unavailable in the received messages. If you create the rules like above, then such messages in most cases will be filtered by the classifier as usual, bypassing the rules.

P.S.: You can test the rules in testing mode on existing messages. That allows to avoid the mistakes in rules in many cases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
apjcs



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:

OK, it is also easy.

Create a white rule:
STRONG Header{To} =~ info@mydomain.com|admin@mydomain.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ info@mydomain.com|admin@mydomain.com

Then create a black rule:
STRONG Header{To} =~ .*@mydomain.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ .*@mydomain.com

The plug-in checks white rules first, so the messages directed to mailboxes from white rule will not be filtered. The rest of messages with invalid recipients (with the same domain) will be deleted by black rule.

There is one exception - the messages with your address in BCC. The contents of BCC field are unavailable in the received messages. If you create the rules like above, then such messages in most cases will be filtered by the classifier as usual, bypassing the rules.

P.S.: You can test the rules in testing mode on existing messages. That allows to avoid the mistakes in rules in many cases.


Thanks.

So I can separate multiple addresses with the | (pipe) character, is that correct?

Can you also explain how I test on existing messages? I understand about testing mode but not how to test existing messages
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
apjcs



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

A Further question:

If messagesd are rated at 0 by the white rules you suggest, will they then be checked on the client using the statistical spam filters?

What effect does the STRONg attribute have in this case?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vetaltm
Author


Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

apjcs wrote:
vetaltm wrote:

OK, it is also easy.

Create a white rule:
STRONG Header{To} =~ info@mydomain.com|admin@mydomain.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ info@mydomain.com|admin@mydomain.com

Then create a black rule:
STRONG Header{To} =~ .*@mydomain.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ .*@mydomain.com

The plug-in checks white rules first, so the messages directed to mailboxes from white rule will not be filtered. The rest of messages with invalid recipients (with the same domain) will be deleted by black rule.

There is one exception - the messages with your address in BCC. The contents of BCC field are unavailable in the received messages. If you create the rules like above, then such messages in most cases will be filtered by the classifier as usual, bypassing the rules.

P.S.: You can test the rules in testing mode on existing messages. That allows to avoid the mistakes in rules in many cases.


Thanks.

So I can separate multiple addresses with the | (pipe) character, is that correct?

The rule conditions use Perl-compatible regular expressions. '|' symbol acts as logical OR in expressions, so the condition is satisfied if any of the separated expressions is found. Here are more correct and effective constructions for your case:

(White)
STRONG Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com

(Black)
STRONG Header{To} =~ .*@mydomain\.com
STRONG Header{CC} =~ .*@mydomain\.com

'.' is a special symbol in regular expressions that acts as a substitution for any other symbol. The construction '\.' uses quoted dot, which acts as usual dot.

apjcs wrote:
Can you also explain how I test on existing messages? I understand about testing mode but not how to test existing messages

Turn on the testing mode (enable the checkbox on Filtering page). When you can mark the messages as spam or non-spam in that mode, the plug-in doesn't actually learn them. The messages are classified instead of training, and the results of classification are appearing in Log. For testing you can open the Log, select one or more existing messages and mark them as non-spam (if you mark them as spam, then the email client can move them to junk folder if that option is turned on).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vetaltm
Author


Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

apjcs wrote:
A Further question:

If messagesd are rated at 0 by the white rules you suggest, will they then be checked on the client using the statistical spam filters?

No. If you want to delete the messages with wrong emails, then filter the other messages on client, you need to create the following black rule:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com
Not Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com

The plug-in will delete all messages, except directed to info@mydomain.com or admin@mydomain.com. The others will be filtered as usual.

apjcs wrote:

What effect does the STRONg attribute have in this case?

The rule will be satisfied if one or more of the STRONG conditions are true. If the conditions are not marked as strong, then the rule satisfied only in case when all its conditions are true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vetaltm
Author


Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
apjcs wrote:
A Further question:

If messagesd are rated at 0 by the white rules you suggest, will they then be checked on the client using the statistical spam filters?

No. If you want to delete the messages with wrong emails, then filter the other messages on client, you need to create the following black rule:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com
Not Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com

The plug-in will delete all messages, except directed to info@mydomain.com or admin@mydomain.com. The others will be filtered as usual.

About the exceptions, again. If your address was in BCC for some message, then most probably the message will be deleted with the black rule above! Also, if you have additional mailboxes in TheBat, then you must add all your mailboxes to the rule. E.g. like this:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|(info|admin)@mydomain2\.com
Not Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|(info|admin)@mydomain2\.com

This is because the rule deletes ALL messages, except directed to the listed addresses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
apjcs



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:

No. If you want to delete the messages with wrong emails, then filter the other messages on client, you need to create the following black rule:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com
Not Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com

The plug-in will delete all messages, except directed to info@mydomain.com or admin@mydomain.com. The others will be filtered as usual.



OK I get this, I think.


What is the best way to test these header rules? How do I retest already downloaded mails in testing mode?

Do I need to escape all . (periods)?

Which is correct:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|.*@my.other.domain.com

or

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|.*@my\.other\.domain\.com

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
apjcs



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:

About the exceptions, again. If your address was in BCC for some message, then most probably the message will be deleted with the black rule above! Also, if you have additional mailboxes in TheBat, then you must add all your mailboxes to the rule. E.g. like this:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|(info|admin)@mydomain2\.com
Not Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|(info|admin)@mydomain2\.com

This is because the rule deletes ALL messages, except directed to the listed addresses.


Is there any way to include messages where the valid address is in the BCC header? Otherwise this rule is useless for me!

Also and I hope finally, how do I write the regular expresion for

24-7@my-domain.org.uk

Many Thanks.

PS I'd better buy the commercial version tomorrow after taking up so much of your time. Thanks for a great product.

PJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vetaltm
Author


Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

apjcs wrote:
vetaltm wrote:

No. If you want to delete the messages with wrong emails, then filter the other messages on client, you need to create the following black rule:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com
Not Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com

The plug-in will delete all messages, except directed to info@mydomain.com or admin@mydomain.com. The others will be filtered as usual.



OK I get this, I think.


What is the best way to test these header rules? How do I retest already downloaded mails in testing mode?

Do I need to escape all . (periods)?

Which is correct:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|.*@my.other.domain.com

or

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|.*@my\.other\.domain\.com

Thanks

'.' in regular expression acts as any other symbol, including real dot. Thus both conditions will work well in most cases. But the first condition also matches the domains like 'my1other1domain.com' for example. Quoting dots allows to avoid such cases, even if their probability is almost zero.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vetaltm
Author


Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

apjcs wrote:
vetaltm wrote:

About the exceptions, again. If your address was in BCC for some message, then most probably the message will be deleted with the black rule above! Also, if you have additional mailboxes in TheBat, then you must add all your mailboxes to the rule. E.g. like this:

Not Header{To} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|(info|admin)@mydomain2\.com
Not Header{CC} =~ (info|admin)@mydomain\.com|(info|admin)@mydomain2\.com

This is because the rule deletes ALL messages, except directed to the listed addresses.


Is there any way to include messages where the valid address is in the BCC header? Otherwise this rule is useless for me!

Unfortunately, there is no way of determining BCC contents for received messages. BCC is transcribed as Blind Carbon Copy, and Blind means here that the recipients don't receive the contents of this header. Spammers are widely use BCC for sending the messages to many recipients simultaneously. But the other people sometimes use BCC for sending a copy of some message to several recipients, which must know nothing about each other. I want to say - in most cases BCC is used when the sender knows the recipients and each recipient also knows the sender. If all contacts you know will be added to a list of friendly addresses, then most probably the message from your friend with your address in BCC will not be filtered by black rule. It will be recognized as non-spam earlier, after finding a matching friendly address in From header. You can use a testing mode for proving this assumption on your existing messages.

apjcs wrote:
Also and I hope finally, how do I write the regular expresion for

24-7@my-domain.org.uk

24-7@my-domain\.org\.uk
Digits and '-' have no special meaning and acts as usual symbols in that case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
apjcs



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Address whitelist Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:

Unfortunately, there is no way of determining BCC contents for received messages. BCC is transcribed as Blind Carbon Copy, and Blind means here that the recipients don't receive the contents of this header. Spammers are widely use BCC for sending the messages to many recipients simultaneously. But the other people sometimes use BCC for sending a copy of some message to several recipients, which must know nothing about each other. I want to say - in most cases BCC is used when the sender knows the recipients and each recipient also knows the sender. If all contacts you know will be added to a list of friendly addresses, then most probably the message from your friend with your address in BCC will not be filtered by black rule. It will be recognized as non-spam earlier, after finding a matching friendly address in From header. You can use a testing mode for proving this assumption on your existing messages.


Thanks, the fact that friendly addresses will protect BCC messages from being deleted is good enough.

I will be purchasing this week Smile

PJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group