antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Antispamsnipper with Gmail IMAP account
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revelli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Antispamsnipper with Gmail IMAP account Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the last version of AntispamSniper for The Bat (3.2.0.6) under Windows XP.

Recently I migrated my POP3 accounts to Gmail IMAP but antispamsniper doesn't seem to work.

Perhaps there is some interference with the Gmail antispam filter?

The Gmail antispam filter seems to work fine. As I have an Imap account, I can see the Gmail SPAM directory on The Bat. And spams regularly go to this folder.

On the other side, the JUNK folder used by AntispamSniper is always empty. Note that I still receive some spam that gmail spam filter doesn't see and that in the past was filtered by AntispamSniper (when I used Pop3 accounts).

I decided to delete all the AntispamSniper accounts and to create them manually in order to give all the information requested for Imap accounts but nothing changed.

AntiSpamSniper still doesn't work with my IMAP accounts (but it still works for other Pop3 accounts).

Note that I unselect the option "block spam by message headers automatically, on receiving new mail" because I don't want to delete spam directly on the mail server. I only want that AntispamSniper put spam on the local Junk folder of The Bat.

On the IMAP tab, I also selected "filter messages by headers, then by content".

Any idea?

Thanks
revelli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that I use the last version of The Bat (4.1.11) and that Gmail IMAP4 accounts use "Secure to Dedicated Port" (993). I put my Gmail IMAP4 parameters not only on The Bat but also on AntispamSniper when I manually created the Imap4 accounts. Imap4 Authentication is set to "regular" on The Bat.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Antispamsnipper with Gmail IMAP account Reply with quote

revelli wrote:
Note that I unselect the option "block spam by message headers automatically, on receiving new mail" because I don't want to delete spam directly on the mail server. I only want that AntispamSniper put spam on the local Junk folder of The Bat.

This is the reason - the checkbox "Block spam by message headers..." must be enabled to allow filtering IMAP. The plug-in doesn't filter IMAP accounts when this option is unchecked. If you don't want the plug-in to filter spam by headers for POP3, switch the filtering mode to "Filter messages on client" for POP3 accounts in plug-in.
revelli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. But if I enable "Block spam by message headers..." option what will happen? The spam detected will go to the Junk folder or not? The spam will be deleted from the mail server?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this option is enabled the plug-in filters message headers before downloading mail via POP3, and also filters IMAP. But it is applied only to accounts listed on Accounts tab. It is possible to remove from this list all POP3 accounts and disable the option "Add new accounts automatically". In this case the plug-in filters IMAP, but the messages from POP3 mailboxes will be downloaded and filtered locally.
revelli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok but my problem is only with Imap accounts. How can I see that the spam deleted on the server is really spam and not false positive...?

This is my problem
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For IMAP the plug-in moves classified spam to a separate IMAP junk folder. You can review its contents and restore the mistakenly blocked mail. Also the plug-in adds records about all classified messages to filtering log (to display it press a button "View log" on plug-in toolbar or on Statistics tab of plug-in settings). It is possible to see in log the spam ratios assigned to incoming messages and an explanation of classifying a message as 100% spam or ham in the field Reason.
revelli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which one is the IMAP junk folder: I have a "junk" folder and also a "junk mail" folder with a red logo on it. For now, any spam has gone on any of these 2 folders.... Sad

BTW, considering that I only use IMAP accounts, what I have to select for each account on the POP tab of AntispamSniper?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revelli wrote:
Not sure which one is the IMAP junk folder: I have a "junk" folder and also a "junk mail" folder with a red logo on it. For now, any spam has gone on any of these 2 folders.... Sad

The plug-in uses the folder specified on IMAP tab of account settings. The default name is Junk.

revelli wrote:
BTW, considering that I only use IMAP accounts, what I have to select for each account on the POP tab of AntispamSniper?

POP3 settings are not used for IMAP accounts.
revelli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your all these answers! 3 last things:

1) What is the priority between Gmail antispam filter and AntispamSniper? Who start first filtering mail? Do you think that a conflict could be possible between these 2 antispam systems?

2) There is a problem for IMAP filtering if I keep disabled the option "add new accounts automatically"?

3) Is it normal that the chart and the log files indicates also filtering activities from other accounts that are not selected on the account tab? I have put only 2 imap accounts on the account tab but I see filtering activities from all my existing accounts (imap and pop3) on the statistics tab.

Bye
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revelli wrote:

1) What is the priority between Gmail antispam filter and AntispamSniper? Who start first filtering mail? Do you think that a conflict could be possible between these 2 antispam systems?

Gmail filters the messages first and moves spam to own folder for junk mail. By default the plug-in filters unread messages in all IMAP folders except own Junk folder. So there are no conflicts, but the plug-in can filter messages already classified as spam by Gmail. To avoid wasting time on classifying the messages in Gmail spam folder add its name (full IMAP path) to the list of exceptions, on IMAP tab of account settings in plug-in. It is possible to use wildcards ('*') in the list items.

revelli wrote:

2) There is a problem for IMAP filtering if I keep disabled the option "add new accounts automatically"?

No. But after creating a new IMAP account don't forget to add it to the list of accounts in plug-in manually.

revelli wrote:

3) Is it normal that the chart and the log files indicates also filtering activities from other accounts that are not selected on the account tab? I have put only 2 imap accounts on the account tab but I see filtering activities from all my existing accounts (imap and pop3) on the statistics tab.

Yes. The plug-in always filters POP3 mailboxes. For POP3 accounts listed on Accounts tab the plug-in blocks spam by headers before downloading mail, then filters the downloaded messages locally. For non-listed POP3 accounts it just filters the downloaded messages locally.
revelli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I set manually an IMAP account nothing works. It seems not to filter mails.

So I decided to enable "add new accounts automatically". And then for a each IMAP account, AntispamSniper creates a lot of differents accounts like:

revelli@mydomain.com/fk-in-f109.google.com
revelli@mydomain.com/mu-in-f111.google.com
revelli@mydomain.com/fk-in-f111.google.com
revelli@mydomain.com/fg-in-f109.google.com
etc
etc

So for each IMAP account, I can have 10-15 or more AntispamSniper accounts created one after the other.... And this is no good for me because for each account I have to add manually Gmail spam folder (full IMAP path) to the list of exceptions.

I suppose that the problem is related to this note of your help file:

"When a new account is automatically added, the plug-in knows only the IP address of the server and tries to resolve its name using a DNS query. But sometimes it is impossible to resolve the domain name using its IP address. The IP address will be specidied as the server name in that case. To make the filtering modes work properly, you have to edit the account data manually and enter the real domain name in the account settings."

But the problem is that if I edit the account manually spam filtering doesn't work! It only works if accounts are added automatically. But in this case, I have plenty of new accounts created and it's impossible to personalize them (for example to modify the list of exceptions to exclude the Gmail Spam folder).

What do you think?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases the plug-in detects imap.gmail.com and pop.gmail.com automatically and uses a well known domain name in account properties. But in rare cases it is unable to find the correct name and uses one of multiple gmail aliases. To fix the problem leave only one account item in plug-in settings for each IMAP gmail.com mailbox, then manually set the domain name imap.gmail.com for each account. I.e. the account settings must have the same login and domain name as in TheBat settings. In this case the plug-in is able to associate imap.gmail.com with its aliases *.google.com and doesn't add new accounts.
revelli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is what I did initially. I set the plugin IMAP accounts manually as you suggest now. But as I said it doesn't work. That's why I enabled the automatic option and got all these accounts.

If I delete for each Imap account, all the plugin accounts, I am sure they will be created again after a few hours.

BTW, I just refreshed IMAP folders on the bat and I noticed that a new Junk mail was created. Its name is INBOX.junk

So I have 2 junk folders: junk and INBOX.junk (and obviously also the Spam folder from Gmail)

Junk and INBOX.junk have recent spam from AntispamSniper

Why?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revelli wrote:
Yes this is what I did initially. I set the plugin IMAP accounts manually as you suggest now. But as I said it doesn't work. That's why I enabled the automatic option and got all these accounts.

It looks like a kind of problem with DNS. Try to use pop.gmail.com instead of imap.gmail.com in plug-in settings. Also if it is allowed, try to switch DNS to opendns.com server (208.67.222.222) in your network settings. Their servers are fast, reliable and can be used as a replacement for provider's DNS servers.

revelli wrote:

BTW, I just refreshed IMAP folders on the bat and I noticed that a new Junk mail was created. Its name is INBOX.junk

So I have 2 junk folders: junk and INBOX.junk (and obviously also the Spam folder from Gmail)

Junk and INBOX.junk have recent spam from AntispamSniper

The plug-in tries to create a folder for spam inside INBOX in case if it is unable to access or create this folder in root. But anyway it uses only one Junk folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: