antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

AntiSpamSniper blocks a certain E-Mail address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCCP99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: AntiSpamSniper blocks a certain E-Mail address Reply with quote

I am using TheBat! Voyager version 4.2.15 together with the antispam plugin AntiSpamSniper Pro version 3.2.2.1 .

A few days ago I noticed that the emails from a friend of mine will not be downloaded by my email program anymore. The emails are treated as if they weren't there. The emails arrive on the mailserver alright, but Voyager doesn't show them at all. Not even as junk mail or spam. I have already reinstalled both the E-Mail program Voyager and the antispamsniper plugin as well. I have not made any changes in the antispam plugin. I am using it as it is after the install.

Today I looked up in the settings of the antispamsniper plugin and noticed in the log file that my friends email-address was classified as "spam by the header" and that "the emails were left on the server".

I have no idea what happened here. Neither the email program nor the antispam plugin showed any messages about the "missing" emails. I don't want to search the antispamsniper logfile everytime I am downloading my emails to find out if any emails were left on the server or missed.

Thanks in advance for your help!
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default the plug-in blocks the messages classified as 100% spam by header on the server. It is possible to restore a blocked message by selecting it in Filtering log and pressing the appropriate log toolbar button. If you have too much false positives, it is possible to turn off blocking spam by message headers on the tab Accounts, checkbox "Block spam by message headers automatically..". In this case all messages will be downloaded from the server and filtered locally.
CCCP99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you vetaltm for your answer!

I can't understand why the email address of my friend was classified 100% spam all of a sudden. Normally the emails came in as the should. I've not made any changes in the settings of the plugin.

And now they were blocked without any message of the email program or the antispam plugin. Are you supposed to check the antispamsniper logfile everytime you download your emails?
CCCP99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have deactivated the checkbox "Block spam by message headers automatically" and now the messages are coming in.

But I must say that I don't really understand what is happening with this setting......is it generally better to leave this checkbox marked or unmarked?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCCP99 wrote:
Thank you vetaltm for your answer!
I can't understand why the email address of my friend was classified 100% spam all of a sudden. Normally the emails came in as the should. I've not made any changes in the settings of the plugin.

The reason of blocking a message is described in Filtering log, field "Reason". For a message blocked by header it can be a blacklisted IP address found in DNSBL, black rule, black word in subject.

CCCP99 wrote:

And now they were blocked without any message of the email program or the antispam plugin. Are you supposed to check the antispamsniper logfile everytime you download your emails?

It makes sense to check the log once a day for example. The probability of false positives is not zero, but it is very small for the plug-in trained on a lot of good mail.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCCP99 wrote:
I have deactivated the checkbox "Block spam by message headers automatically" and now the messages are coming in.

But I must say that I don't really understand what is happening with this setting......is it generally better to leave this checkbox marked or unmarked?

When this option is enabled the plug-in blocks more spam, and obvious spam is not downloaded to email client. But in this case you should review the Filtering log to avoid false positives, because the messages blocked by headers stay on the server for the time specified in log settings. The plug-in deletes them from server automatically, with the correspondent log records.
CCCP99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you once again for your help and advice.

I've looked further in the log file. The window wasn't open far enough to see the reason.

The email address was blocked because the "Source IP is on the black list"; hits 4........whatever that means).

The email address is not from a spammer. I wonder why the email could have come on the black list...?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCCP99 wrote:
Thank you once again for your help and advice.

I've looked further in the log file. The window wasn't open far enough to see the reason.

The email address was blocked because the "Source IP is on the black list"; hits 4........whatever that means).

The email address is not from a spammer. I wonder why the email could have come on the black list...?

It means that the specified IP address of sender was found in 4 online DNSBL services. More in detail, the following cases are possible:
- The computer of the sender is infected by a virus that sends spam.
- The sender uses an internet connection with dynamic IP address. And when he was sending a message, he had an IP address used previously by an infected computer.
- The whole provider subnet of the sender is blacklisted, because there are too many infected computers in it.

In any case, when you restore a message and press OK in the window with sender name and address, the plug-in adds the sender email address and all IP addresses to the whitelists. In future it doesn't block the messages from the same sender and doesn't use DNSBL for his IP subnet.

You can use this service to see more details about IP addresses:
http://antispamsniper.com/dnsbl.php

Enter the IP address from filtering log, press Search, and it will show the list of DNSBL services where the entered IP is listed.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, your current IP address has 9 hits:
http://antispamsniper.com/dnsbl.php?ip=82.113.121.223

If you use antivirus and absolutely sure that your computer is not infected, it makes sense to change internet provider, because many of your mail messages sent via TheBat will be blocked by various spam filters.
CCCP99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help!

Unfortunately I cannot change the internet provider so easily at this time!
I've run an antivirus program recently and it didn't find anything.

I want to keep using TheBat because I like that email program. The only antispam filter I'm using is AntiSpamSniper. I didn't have any probs until a few days ago....
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCCP99 wrote:
Thanks again for your help!

Unfortunately I cannot change the internet provider so easily at this time!
I've run an antivirus program recently and it didn't find anything.

I want to keep using TheBat because I like that email program. The only antispam filter I'm using is AntiSpamSniper. I didn't have any probs until a few days ago....

When your IP address is in blacklists, it doesn't matter what email client and spam filter you use. The messages sent from your computer can be blocked by the server-side and client-side spam filters of the recipients. To avoid this it is possible to change the provider or send the important messages via web interface, e.g. gmail.com or web interface of your mail server if it exists.
CCCP99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problematic email address of which the emails were blocked from were from a "thebat.net" email address. "thebat.net" is a email-collaboration of Google and Ritlabs (TheBat). But I am not using the web interface however. It's a lot easier to use an email program like TheBat in order to pick up and send out email.

Isn't the IP address different each time you use the internet?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the IP is blacklisted, it is not important what mail server is used. The problem is in IP address assigned by internet provider to internet connection. And of course you can continue using TheBat or any other programs, but keep in mind that in this case the successful delivery of your messages is not guaranteed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: