antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Plugin completely stopped filtering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleena

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Plugin completely stopped filtering Reply with quote

Hello,

this has happened to me twice already: Out of nothing, I start seeing spam again. I think "ah must be something new, learn, learn".
The problem is - the plugin doesn't filter out ANY spam anymore. It however doesn't show any sign of a problem either.

Can the database be poisoned in some way...too many conflicting rules that the statistical engine goes bananas?
Can the DB be full, too large...or anything else?

What helped the first time was - obviously - kicking the database.
Before I do that again - is there anything I can send you to maybe investigate what really happened?

Thank you and have a nice week-end,
kleena_k
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Take a look at the filtering log (there is an appropriate button on the plug-in toolbar, and a button on Statistics tab in plug-in settings). The log records contain details about filtering all incoming mail.
- If the messages are classified properly, but TheBat doesn't move them to Junk mail folder, make sure that the option "Move a message to the Junk folder..." is selected on Anti-spam tab in TheBat preferences, and the score limit is not too high.
kleena

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done as instructed.
Interestingly, I in fact do see some "classified as Spam by header" from today on this spam chain (currently these are "Dr.OZ" body hea1th messages), but around that, from today and the days before, I see a large lot of "learned as spam" - thus those that didn;t get classified and I hit the red button on them.

Where do I see the score the messages have reached? I only seem to see this "Classified as spam by header".
My score in TheBat! is set to 60.

Still, those recognized spams from today are an exception, many before weren't recognized.

Are the spams simply too good?
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBat provides messages downloaded via POP3 to plug-in for filtering. If there are no records about the new messages in filtering log of the plug-in, apparently something is wrong with the used version of TheBat. Make sure it is not TheBat 3.99.27, which has a bug, and a situation similar to described occurs with all antispam plug-ins. If you use some of the recent versions of TheBat, it makes sense to contact Ritlabs support with this question.
kleena

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I am using TheBat! v 5, the account is an IMAP one.
Whatever made the impression that the plugin may not getting the messages...it does. It reports some of them as recognized ham an an absolute minority as spam. It didn't report anything about most of them mails, but it did of some. The issue is th eplugin not recognizing my spams as spam.
It has happened in the past and now it has happened again.

I did the test at last: killed the entire data directory of the plugin. My registration was gone allright. But - so is now the spam!
Finally recognized.

This brings me back to my original proposal: is there any use if I send you the data files containing the learned rules so you can maybe investigate into what's gone wrong with the spam database? Please tell me which files would me of interest to you.

Thank you.
kleena

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the database drop, messages are being filtered again with no problem.
Is there a way to contribute you the data files for examination?
Minty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this problem as well, a couple of times

can you explain a little clearer how you got around it, without uninstalling and reinstalling antisniper

thanks
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try the latest build:
http://antispamsniper.com/dl/3.0/sniper-mui-3.3.1.6.exe

The issue can occur when both POP3 and IMAP protocols are used to download mail from the same account. Also similar problem occurs when IMAP account is checked from another email client. The plug-in filters only new messages having unseen flag. If the messages are checked from another place, for example via web interface, the flag is removed and the plug-in doesn't filter them. The plug-in simply avoids filtering old mail.

The new build above has additional checks to avoid issue in first case (POP3/IMAP in the same email client). The second case with dropping unseen flag cannot be fixed due to performance reasons, for example to avoid refiltering the seen messages moved between IMAP folders.
Minty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks am trying it now, effectively the spam filtering has been working incorrectly since this morning and yesterday I used The bat from my tablet at home last night

thanks again

update

Have installed the latest version, spam still passing through, am only running imap mail on my accounts

must I uninstall reinstall to get it working again correctly ?

thanks
Minty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added or rather re added my emails accounts to my phone this morning, since then AS has again stopped filtering spam content, what is wrong with this program ?

The status is shown as OK (version 3.3.1.6) but all spam going thru and none being blocked since this morning, surely we can use more than one e mail programs as at this rate I dare not use the bat at home or my phone my mails

Running win 7 at work, win 8 at home, android phone, The Bat version 5.4

All email imap

thanks
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug-in doesn't check messages having "seen" IMAP flag. So if the IMAP account is checked from several places, the plug-in can miss the messages downloaded from other email clients.
Minty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I haven't used the phone or the bat at home since yesterdays mail and have just opened the bat this morning, no spams have been caught

Everything is going thru, this a a 100% miss rate

How do I get it to catch spams again , uninstall reinstall and what can I do to get around this problem, surely i'm not the only user of your program using more than one email program loacation
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, the plug-in misses "seen" messages. If you haven't checked your account from other places, then someone else did that.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense to turn off checking IMAP accounts on TheBat startup. If IMAP connections are created before the plug-in initialization, the plug-in is unable to filter messages. This is a possible reason of the problem. The initialization time depends on size of configuration data, and it explains why everything works after plug-in reinstallation.
Minty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reponse how do I turn of checking imap at startup ?

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: