antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Black words edit list
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paolo73an

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Black words edit list Reply with quote

Is it possible to use wildcards in black words??
I mean something like "ev*thing" ?? i.e. where * is the jolly character...
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Black words edit list Reply with quote

paolo73an wrote:

No, the black words doesn't support wildcards. But you can use the black rules instead for filtering the subjects with regular expressions. A condition for the described case could look like this:

Header{Subject} =~ ev.*thing

Where:
"." - Match any character
"*" - Match 0 or more times

More info on regular expressions
paolo73an

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Black words edit list Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
paolo73an wrote:

No, the black words doesn't support wildcards. But you can use the black rules instead for filtering the subjects with regular expressions. A condition for the described case could look like this:

Where:

Good to know...thanks vetaltm
I've bought the full version of ASS 1.65 but there was no manual in it.
Where can I find the syntax for using black rules???
I can see "Strong" or "Not" checkboxes in black rules dialog but I'm not able to use them since I don't know what to write...
I think It would be a good idea if antispamsniper.com would put in their website a pre-defined set of rules, according to the most used phrase lists or black words known.
Then i suggest it would be good in future releases of ASS a feature to block email domains known to be used by spammers....
In the meanwhile if someone could suggest me where to download a manual of ASS or black rules' syntax, it would be much appreciated.
At last if you need someone to translate ASS in Italian, I could help you
Bye
paolo73an

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Black words edit list Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
paolo73an wrote:

Where:

I've created a black word rule as you suggested.
I've ASS 1.65
I've noticed in the log the messages which correspond to that back word rule are correctly marked ad spam, but they are not put in the spam folder. They are classified as spam - black rule: "mychoice" but not put in the spam folder as I expected....
As black rule I put
as suggested.
Can I do something more to make it work correctly?
Nobody answered me about the meaning of "Strong" or "Not", neither no one told me if there is a manual with the syntax for creating black rules or to use ASS in general.
Wainting for replies.....
Bye
JimKyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "strong" modifier forces the classification if just one rule is satisfied. Without it, several rules must be met before the classification becomes official.

The "not" modifier reverses the meaning of the rule. That is, if you wanted to receive only messages that satisfied the rule, you would check both strong and not when adding or editing the rule. With both checked, I believe that no messages would survive except those that satisfied the rule.

Both modifiers are controlled by check boxes near the top of the dialog when you are creating or editing the rule. To add a modifier to an existing rule, highlight the rule in the list, click the Edit button, then check or clear either or both of the check boxes as desired. Then save the modified rule and you should find it working...
paolo73an

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: spam not classified even if there's a black rule Reply with quote

JimKyle wrote:
The "strong" modifier forces the classification if just one rule is satisfied. Without it, several rules must be met before the classification becomes official.

The "not" modifier reverses the meaning of the rule. That is, if you wanted to receive only messages that satisfied the rule, you would check both strong and not when adding or editing the rule. With both checked, I believe that no messages would survive except those that satisfied the rule.

Both modifiers are controlled by check boxes near the top of the dialog when you are creating or editing the rule. To add a modifier to an existing rule, highlight the rule in the list, click the Edit button, then check or clear either or both of the check boxes as desired. Then save the modified rule and you should find it working...

Thanks JimKyle, I've done as you told me but something is not working well.
I want to write a black rule to classify as spam all message with a subject like:
- PHAxxxRMA
- Re: phaxxxrmacy
- phaxxxmacy
(where x can be any character repeated more than once)
Since just now writing a black rule like this:
ASS 1.65 hasn't classified the message listed below in the log record as spam, giving only a 96,99% spam score:
What can I do to solve the problem?
Is it a problem of bleck rule's syntax or ASS is not working well??
Please help...
Bye
paolo73an

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still not filtering....

I've forgotten to say I use full version of ASS 1.65 together with full version of Agava Antispamservant 2.16 and I've set TheBat! to delete messages when minimum spam score is above 98%.
A part from this, the point is ASS is not classifying spam messages defined with black rules as I expected....
Developers of ASS, this message is also for you...
Any suggestions??
JimKyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try making three separate rules rather than having all three tests in a single rule. I note that it did classify it at more than 91% spam, which should have automatically put the message into the Junk folder. You might want to look at your TB! options dealing with anti-spam filtering, to see where your threshold point is set.

I seldom see any message explicitly tagged as spam, but have an overall rate of more than 98% accuracy in tossing the unwanted messages into the Junk folder anyway since most of them score well above 90% spam...
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Black words edit list Reply with quote

paolo73an wrote:
vetaltm wrote:
paolo73an wrote:

Where:

Good to know...thanks vetaltm
I've bought the full version of ASS 1.65 but there was no manual in it.
Where can I find the syntax for using black rules???

There is a manual with both free and commercial versions. You can press F1 or Help button anywhere in configuration window, or select Help item from Start->AntispamSniper for TheBat! menu. The syntax of regular expressions (the patterns in conditions) are not included in manual. But in previous post I gave you a link to the good online manual on regular expressions: http://www.regular-expressions.info

paolo73an wrote:
I can see "Strong" or "Not" checkboxes in black rules dialog but I'm not able to use them since I don't know what to write...

The rule is satisfied if all its conditions are true. But if some condition is true and marked as Strong, then the rule is satisfied immediately, independently from the other conditions. "Not" means that the condition is true if text is not matching the pattern.

paolo73an wrote:
I think It would be a good idea if antispamsniper.com would put in their website a pre-defined set of rules, according to the most used phrase lists or black words known.

Soon I'll write an article with some tips on creating the rules. The predefined black rules already exist and you can import them from the correspondent dialog: http://antispamsniper.com/misc/black_rules.xml
But please be careful and check how they work on your existing messages first!

paolo73an wrote:
Then i suggest it would be good in future releases of ASS a feature to block email domains known to be used by spammers....
In the meanwhile if someone could suggest me where to download a manual of ASS or black rules' syntax, it would be much appreciated.

DNSBL are already used for blocking the messages from untrusted servers by the originating IP. If you have your own "black list", then you can create a rule with conditions like that:
STRONG Header{Received} =~ <black domain>

paolo73an wrote:
At last if you need someone to translate ASS in Italian, I could help you
Bye

Thanks! Here are the materials for translation:
http://antispamsniper.com/download/sniper_strings.zip

There are three ASCII text files in the archive: UI strings, installer strings and readme text. I'll create a separate Italian build if you translate them all and send to me at contact@antispamsniper.com. You can also write any questions or suggestions to the same address.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Black words edit list Reply with quote

paolo73an wrote:
vetaltm wrote:
paolo73an wrote:

Where:

I've created a black word rule as you suggested.
I've ASS 1.65
I've noticed in the log the messages which correspond to that back word rule are correctly marked ad spam, but they are not put in the spam folder. They are classified as spam - black rule: "mychoice" but not put in the spam folder as I expected....
As black rule I put
as suggested.
Can I do something more to make it work correctly?
Nobody answered me about the meaning of "Strong" or "Not", neither no one told me if there is a manual with the syntax for creating black rules or to use ASS in general.
Wainting for replies.....
Bye

Please, delete any other anti-spam plug-ins installed. I've explained why here.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: spam not classified even if there's a black rule Reply with quote

paolo73an wrote:
JimKyle wrote:

Thanks JimKyle, I've done as you told me but something is not working well.
I want to write a black rule to classify as spam all message with a subject like:
- PHAxxxRMA
- Re: phaxxxrmacy
- phaxxxmacy
(where x can be any character repeated more than once)
Since just now writing a black rule like this:
ASS 1.65 hasn't classified the message listed below in the log record as spam, giving only a 96,99% spam score:
What can I do to solve the problem?
Is it a problem of bleck rule's syntax or ASS is not working well??
Please help...
Bye

It seems you've met a bug, that doesn't update the classifier immediately after changing the black rules. You can change something else or restart TheBat for making it work as it must. The bug is fixed already in new version - 1.6.7.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolo73an wrote:
still not filtering....

I've forgotten to say I use full version of ASS 1.65 together with full version of Agava Antispamservant 2.16 and I've set TheBat! to delete messages when minimum spam score is above 98%.
A part from this, the point is ASS is not classifying spam messages defined with black rules as I expected....
Developers of ASS, this message is also for you...
Any suggestions??

If you want the rules in AntispamSniper to work properly, then delete all other plug-ins from TheBat. The overall filtering quality also degrades when several plug-ins are working simultaneously. The second problem ("ASS is not classifying spam messages defined with black rules as I expected") will be fixed after installing the new version (1.6.7). The old version also can work properly, but only after restarting TheBat or changing something else from filtering properties (e.g. white rules, friends list settings etc.).
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: spam not classified even if there's a black rule Reply with quote

BTW, the rules you created are not good. The expression ".*" matches any text of any length, including spaces and other invisible symbols. Some good subject may start with "ph" and end with "macy" with many other words between. I can't give an example, but it is obvious that the pattern is bad. Also, the patterns are case insensitive (locale dependent transformation is applied to both text and pattern before comparing). If you want to filter variants of "pharmacy" word, then the following pattern is more suitable:
ph[\w]{2}macy

Any 2 alpha-numeric symbols in the middle of the word will be eaten with that pattern.
paolo73an

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: spam not classified even if there's a black rule Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
BTW, the rules you created are not good. The expression ".*" matches any text of any length, including spaces and other invisible symbols. Some good subject may start with "ph" and end with "macy" with many other words between. I can't give an example, but it is obvious that the pattern is bad. Also, the patterns are case insensitive (locale dependent transformation is applied to both text and pattern before comparing). If you want to filter variants of "pharmacy" word, then the following pattern is more suitable:
ph[\w]{2}macy

Any 2 alpha-numeric symbols in the middle of the word will be eaten with that pattern.

Thanks for the advice, vetaltm.
Before changing black rules and getting the new ASS 1.67, i'd like to show you that in the previous way the black rules I used, even if split in more rules, wasn't working well.
Look at the log to see the subject desidered to be blocked:

the problem is that not only the black rule isn't working but also that the messagge is not put in the junk folder even if I put this settings in thebat! :

these are my black rules:

and this one the desidered one (before making changes reported below after vetaltm's suggestion)

Then I've downloaded antispamsniper 1.67 and changed the black rule in this way:

STRONG Header{Subject} =~ PH[\d\w\s]{1,}?RMA

the purpose is to block any digit/character/space with lenght 1 or more between the word PH ARMA.
Is this syntax correct??
thanks
I'll let you know if things get better...
JimKyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep using two plug-ins, set the option to use Maximum rather than Minimum score. The way your screen shot shows things, if either one of the plug-ins failed to score the message above 75, it would not go to the junk folder even though the Sniper scored it at 91%. Setting it to use Maximum rather than minimum, then if either one did score above 75, the message would go to junk. I suspect that this is the whole basis of your problem!!!

Edit: Something is wrong in the forum software; only once in all the times I've viewed this thread did I see your shot of the options screen from TB!; at the moment it's showing me the details of the filtered message, where the options shot is supposed to be!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for TheBat! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: