antispamsniper.com Forum Index antispamsniper.com
The reliable anti-spam protection

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Slowness & white-emails matching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for Outlook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpriest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Slowness & white-emails matching Reply with quote

Hello, I'm having a couple of problems with AntiSpamSniper which otherwise is excellent.

1) I have an extensive list of white-email rules, all of which use the wildcards feature, but it does not seem to work properly. I have the following:
"*" <*@expirationwarning.net>

Yet those emails still end up in the unsure folder.

Also, I receive some email from the main domain and the subdomains, such as from: @a.xyz.com and from @xyz.com. I tried using a wildcard as such but none seemed to work:
"*" <*@*xyz.com>
"*" <*@*yz.com>

Is there some limit on the wild-card that I am running into?

2) When I mark items as non-spam outlook gets very slow, I'm doing this via a keyboard shortcut, the same does not seem to apply when marking something as spam.

3) If I have marked a number of items as spam/non-spam, I will see an icon floating around sometimes and unless I minimize outlook, outlook will keep coming to the foreground (even over a separate "new message" window.)

Any idea what's going on? I've been using it about a year now...

About a week ago it was a bigger problem, which is when I went through the auto blacklist/whitelist and cleaned them up (and turned off automatically add to black/white list) which seemed to improve the speed a bit.
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Slowness & white-emails matching Reply with quote

cpriest wrote:
Hello, I'm having a couple of problems with AntiSpamSniper which otherwise is excellent.

1) I have an extensive list of white-email rules, all of which use the wildcards feature, but it does not seem to work properly. I have the following:
"*" <*@expirationwarning.net>

Yet those emails still end up in the unsure folder.

Also, I receive some email from the main domain and the subdomains, such as from: @a.xyz.com and from @xyz.com. I tried using a wildcard as such but none seemed to work:
"*" <*@*xyz.com>
"*" <*@*yz.com>

Is there some limit on the wild-card that I am running into?

There are cases when the plug-in bypasses the white list of email addresses. For example when the message headers contain an error report from server about a violation of SPF rules, the address in From field cannot be trusted.
The white rules are always applied to messages, without exceptions. So if you need a strict condition for header fields, it makes sense to use white rules.

cpriest wrote:

2) When I mark items as non-spam outlook gets very slow, I'm doing this via a keyboard shortcut, the same does not seem to apply when marking something as spam.

A lot of items in white/black lists of email addresses with masks ('*') slow down the performance.

cpriest wrote:

3) If I have marked a number of items as spam/non-spam, I will see an icon floating around sometimes and unless I minimize outlook, outlook will keep coming to the foreground (even over a separate "new message" window.)

Any idea what's going on? I've been using it about a year now...

About a week ago it was a bigger problem, which is when I went through the auto blacklist/whitelist and cleaned them up (and turned off automatically add to black/white list) which seemed to improve the speed a bit.

The plug-in shows an icon to indicate that the learning process is in progress.
cpriest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

cpriest wrote:
Quote:

A lot of items in white/black lists of email addresses with masks ('*') slow down the performance.

Why would marking a message as 'good/non-spam' need to consult the white/black lists?

Would a single white-rule regular expression be better than hundreds of white-emails with wildcards?

Quote:
Quote:
cpriest wrote:
... and unless I minimize outlook, outlook will keep coming to the foreground (even over a separate "new message" window.)

The plug-in shows an icon to indicate that the learning process is in progress.

The trouble is that it forces outlook to come to the foreground frequently.

------

Is there any way this activity could be done in another thread? I find that if I mark several pieces of email as spam or non-spam I can't use outlook for several minutes...
vetaltm
Author

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpriest wrote:

Why would marking a message as 'good/non-spam' need to consult the white/black lists?

By default the white list is updated automatically during learning a message as non-spam. If it is not needed, you can disable this feature in Training section of Filtering tab in plug-in settings.

cpriest wrote:

Would a single white-rule regular expression be better than hundreds of white-emails with wildcards?

The rules are always added manually. But most white list items are added automatically, during training the plug-in on non-spam. This is why the plug-in always trusts rules, but doesn't trust white/black lists in some cases.
cpriest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vetaltm wrote:
cpriest wrote:

By default the white list is updated automatically during learning a message as non-spam. If it is not needed, you can disable this feature in Training section of Filtering tab in plug-in settings.

I guess I didn't mention it but I had turned off the auto-add to white/blacklist feature in trying to tease out some performance. But in any case, why would adding one item to either list (when marking something as spam/not spam) cause such a delay? I mean I'm talking like marking 5 messages as not spam takes up to 5 minutes...
vetaltm wrote:

cpriest wrote:

The rules are always added manually. But most white list items are added automatically, during training the plug-in on non-spam. This is why the plug-in always trusts rules, but doesn't trust white/black lists in some cases.

Okay, so would a single white-rule regular expression be better than hundreds of white-emails w/ wildcards? I am really white-listing by domain/subdomain...

----

Also, is there any way any/all of this could be offloaded from the main UI thread? It's terribly infuriating to have outlook be slowed down just because I marked an email as spam.

Are there any diagnostics I can look at that shows where all the time is being spent?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antispamsniper.com Forum Index -> AntispamSniper for Outlook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: